Skip to main content

Oppenheimer review

Oppenheimer written and directed by Christopher Nolan and staring Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer. One of the most anticipated films of the year I obviously had to see it immediately when I could and damn Christopher Nolan delivers an absolute treat for a history and film nerds such as myself.

Oppenheimer | Official Trailer

Synopsis: American scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer has a pivotal role in changing the world as he leads a team of scientists to create the first nuclear weapons giving the humankind keys for destruction of life on earth as we know it.

My thoughts: Do forgive me the flare for the dramatic in the synopsis, but as Christopher Nolan himself has said this is one of the most dramatic stories in the history of mankind. The movie has quite a lot of dialogue, but it does not feel too long or boring. The pacing is done well in my opinion and the story unlike usually with Nolan is told in a straight forward and almost old fashioned way, which I think works well for this subject matter and movie. I do like the perspective change he has done with the coloured and black and white parts that give give differing views on Oppenheimer's story.

As performances and actors go I think the movie is great and the cast is packed with amazing actors such as Robert Downey Jr., Emily Blunt, Matt Damon etc. Obviously the star of the show is Cillian Murphy who I think portrays Oppenheimer beautifully showing the weight and the burden of the process and implications of the weapon he has created put on him. The actors all do a great job and help to truly immerse oneself into the story, I especially enjoyed seeing Robert Downey Jr. getting to show that he is not just a movie star, but a great actor as well.

The film is also amazing audio visually as well. The visuals work well with the sound design and create an amazing experience, the music is also great and when there needs to be silence there is silence. The visuals are great and again I am amazed how Christopher Nolan and his team have managed to create such amazing practical effects. I think there is something very magical when you know that the effects have been made for real and filmed rather than using just CGI.

Verdict: The story is also great and is told in such manner that at least I did not loose interest at any point and it addresses important parts of Oppenheimer's life and character. I like the differing views used in the narrative and the audio visual choices made in the film. The actors all do great job and the cast is packed with highly recognizable names if that is important to someone. Overall I think this is an amazing movie and would highly recommend everyone to watch it. I give it 8.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Father film review

 Unfortunately it has been a while since my last post but, I am back here with a vengeance and a new review of a movie called The Father. Now this will be quite short and to the point as I don't have too much to say about this movie.   Synopsis:  The Father was directed by  Florian Zeller and it tells the story a father (Anthony Hopkins) dealing with dementia, he forgets where he is, who his daughter is and as he tries to make since of the changing circumstances he begins to doubt his loved ones, his own mind and even the fabric of reality. My Thoughts:  I will start by saying I really liked this film, now this is the kind of movie that I don't often watch, but I am glad I did. First of all I like how the story is told from the perspective of The Father played by Anthony Hopkins, as this gives us as the audience some perspective how it feels to have dementia or alzheimer's. The confusion that he feels becomes our confusion as well. You see his daughter played ex...

Top Gun: Maverick

 Hello I am back after such a long time with a new post and this time we are taking a look at Top Gun: Maverick staring Tom Cruise, Miles Teller and many more. Top Gun: Maverick is directed by Joseph Kosinski and was released 2022. Top Gun: Maverick | NEW Official Trailer (2022 Movie) Synopsis: After 30 years one of the top aviators of the Navy, Pete Mitchell aka. Maverick is working as a test pilot and dodging advancements that would ground him, when he is called to teach a new generation of elite pilots to fly a near impossible mission. My thoughts: Top Gun: Maverick is a solid action film with great action set peaces, some funny moments as well as some drama here and there. I myself don't really have nostalgia for the original movie as I wasn't around to watch it back then, but I do enjoy this one very much and I do think it is way better than the original one. Now I will say this film was an absolutely phenomenal movie theater experience when I saw it, the music, the sounds...